UNDEREARNERS’ ANONYMOUS GSB MEETING
Sunday, July 20, 2014
VIA TELEPHONE (712) 775-7100
The meeting opened at 5:00 PM Pacific Time (8:00 PM Eastern Time) with the Serenity Prayer. Susan H. read the Traditions.
- Tamyah, Chair
- Matt, Vice Chair
- Ed W., Secretary
- Bella, world service committee
- Mike M., finance committee (acting)
- Sonia, public information committee
General Service Representatives:
- Glenda, 7:15 Monday night last gaspers
- Jean Camille, Live from LA, Sunday night
- Dorrie C., 8:30 Main Line Phone meeting
- Julie B., Bronx
- Frannie M., Prosperous Travel Visions, 12:15 Saturday (main phone line)
- Ed W., Wednesday afternoon meeting in lower Manhattan
- Mike M., Saturday 11:30 AM meeting at the LGBT Center in New York City
- Susan H., Sunday LA Farmer’s Market
- Karen B., Sherman Oaks, Wednesday night
- Marcie E., Selling with Serenity, 6 AM
- Mindy, Altadena
- Faye, Israel
- Patricia, Woodstock, NY, Saturday at 9
- Chris, 7:15 AM Underearning and Solvency Meeting, Baltimore
Secretary’s Minutes: The minutes of the last meeting were approved as read.
Treasurer’s Report: Andrew D., the treasurer, was not on the call, so the treasurer’s report was not given.
Tamyah then announced that the Finance Committee had discovered an irregularity in the GSB accounts. She requested that “the current treasurer and finance committee chair step down immediately and surrender all accounts immediately.”
In the ensuing discussion, the “irregularity” was disclosed to be the following:
- A beginning UA group in Israel invited Andrew D. to come to Israel to “spread the UA message”.
- The Israel group was able to cover all but $623 of the cost of Andrew’s trip.
- Andrew went before the GSB on April 25, 2014 to authorize the disbursement of this $623 (The meeting was postponed from April 20, 2014 beause April 20 was Easter Sunday.).
- After the meeting, Andrew, as Treasurer of the GSB, wrote a check drawn on the GSB account for $600 of the $623 he had requested, even though the GSB had denied the request. He then deposited this $600 check into his own account to cover these remaining costs.
- After already depositing the check, Andrew did not disclose the above in the Group Inventory when asked whether he went to Israel “solvently”.
- The above was discovered as by the Finance Committee as part of their review of the GSB finances.
After considerable discussion, the membership did not choose to endorse Tamyah’s request. Instead, Jean Camille made the following motion:
That a committee comprised of
resolve the matter and present their findings at the WSC.
After Chris seconded the motion, a friendly amendment was brought to remove Andrew’s name from the committee. Jean Camille refused this amendment.
Mindy proposed a second friendly amendment, that the committee provide a “full report”, in the form of an audit, as part of its findings. Jean Camille accepted this amendment.
The initial vote on the above motion was 13 votes in favor, 8 votes against, and 1 abstention. Although there were more votes in favor of the motion than there were votes against it, there was not the required 2/3 majority of the votes cast.
A minority opinion was heard, after which some of the “nay” votes expressed interest in changing their vote. A second vote was taken, with 13 votes in favor and 6 votes against, with no abstentions. Since more than 2/3 of the votes cast were cast in favor of the motion, it passed on this second vote.
Immediately after the vote, Tamyah and Matt B. stated that they were stepping down from the committee.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:02 PM Pacific Time (10:02 PM Eastern Time)
Secretary, General Service Board of UA